Gluten Free July 4th Flag Cake
Nope, this is not the full flag cake and full disclosure, I did make more than just this one cupcake. The truth is, this is a down and dirty post. I wanted to get this into your hands today because Gluten Free or not, this super moist chocolate cake with cream cheese icing is absolutely delicious and with berries in full bloom right now, this is the PERFECT dessert to take to your July 4th parties. So finish reading this post, share it with friends then get to the store and pick up the ingredients to impress your friends and family come Monday! So here's the story behind the singular cupcake in the photo. The cake recipe makes more than a standard 9 x 13 pan will hold so I also made cupcakes. Since the party isn't until Monday then of course I didn't want to make the full rectangular flag cake with berries and all today because they would wilt and be gross. Nobody wants a gross flag cake. So I decided to make a little one just to have a pretty photo then I will do my best to remember to post the full flag cake on Instagram on Monday. (Not following me, click the links on the side.)
This cake uses a standard gluten free flour blend. The one that I use is 6 parts white rice flour, 2 parts potato starch and 1 part tapioca starch. This translates into 2 cups white rice flour, 2/3 cup potato starch and 1/3 cup tapioca starch. That happens to be the perfect amount for this recipe. You can use your favorite blend or premade GF flour, though.
Since I have done nothing to change the actual cake recipe, I will point you to the "Gluten Free & More" website I got it from to avoid any copyright issues. Gluten Free Chocolate Cake It makes 1 generous 9 x 13 cake and 6 cupcakes or 36 cupcakes.
- 1 baked Gluten Free Chocolate Cake or cupcakes, cooled
- 1 package organic cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar, preferably organic
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Small strawberries, halved or raspberries
- White chocolate chips or extra frosting in a piping bag with star tip
- If you like me forgot to soften cream cheese, place it in the microwave for 45 seconds to soften. Beat on low speed until creamy then add half the powdered sugar. Blend on low then increase to high to incorporate sugar. Add remaining sugar and vanilla then beat until incoporated.
- Spread a light layer on top of cake or cupcakes to conceal crumbs. Then spread remaining frosting to cover.
- For flag cake: With the long side of the cake facing you place the blueberries in tight rows to make a 4 x 5 inch rectangle for the blue portion of the flag. (You can eyeball this...no need to get out a ruler!) Place white chocolate chips or pipe frosing to make stars on blue portion.
- Place the halved strawberries or raspberries in rows starting to the right of the blueberries to make several rows about 3/4" apart.
- For festive cupcakes: Place strawberries or raspberries in middle of frosted cupcakes then form a circle around them with blueberries.